Who We Are
Founded in 2020, Ascent is a venture-backed startup building the unifying dashboard for high-intensity, small unit tactics. Our platform informs incident command where their operators are, how they’re doing, & maps the space. This is done through localization of the operator at the scene, reporting biometric data, pre-planning the interior floor design and relaying all this in real time to incident command. During high risk operations, we ensure that incident command has the necessary information to make for more informed decisions & tasks can be accomplished as efficiently and safely as possible.
Ascent offers the opportunity to make a difference in the world by developing technology that helps keep our heroes safe with embedded technology that allows location and health transparency. At Ascent, you’ll work with engineers from all different backgrounds to collaborate on our tech. Turn your passion into practical solutions that will improve the lives of first responders and warfighters.
None of this would be possible without our customers. Since our founding, we have conducted over 1,700 customer discovery interviews with fire departments across the United States. We currently have over 20 members on our Fire Chief Advisory Board to help guild us in our mission.
Are you enthusiastic about working in an innovative startup environment with a hands-on approach? Ascent is seeking a Workshop Intern to join our dynamic team and assist in various workshop and engineering tasks. As an intern, you will be actively involved in setting up and mounting new equipment, while leveraging your experience around a workshop or tool shop. This role offers a unique chance to immerse yourself in a growing startup company that is building cutting-edge firefighter technology.
- Assist with setting up and mounting new equipment, utilizing your workshop skills and knowledge of various tools and equipment.
- Collaborate with the engineering team to perform hands-on tasks and provide support in testing and prototyping activities.
- Utilize and maintain 3D printers (FDM, resin/SLA) for slicing models and producing high-quality prints.
- Ensure the proper functioning and maintenance of 3D printers and other workshop tools to achieve consistent and precise results.
- Work on various workshop-related tasks, such as assembling components, fabricating prototypes, and maintaining workshop organization.
- Participate in engineering meetings and discussions, gaining exposure to the overall development process of our innovative products.
- Support the team with general office tasks, such as data entry, filing, and organizing documents.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and a willingness to learn new skills and take on new challenges in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Enrolled in an engineering college program or a related field.
- Hands-on experience around a workshop or tool shop, with a good understanding of various tools and equipment.
- Experience with 3D printers, specifically in slicing models for FDM and preferably resin/SLA printing, and maintaining 3D printers for optimal performance.
- Familiarity with electronics or technical equipment is a plus.
- A proactive and adaptable mindset, with a strong desire to learn and contribute to the team’s success.
- Ability to follow instructions accurately and efficiently, with attention to detail in completing tasks.
- Excellent organizational skills to maintain a tidy and well-kept workspace.
- Basic understanding of office software and computer applications.
- An interest in technology, engineering, or firefighting-related fields is a bonus.
This role is for the academic school year 2023 to 2024.
To apply, please submit your resume and a brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this internship and how your skills align with the position’s responsibilities.