The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the business development conduit with our carrier partners in order to increase premium production according to the annual growth budget. The Business Development Specialist role is to ensure Markel becomes more relevant with its carrier partners by enhancing current relationships. The Business Development Specialist will collaborate and use all resources available to create targeted business plans while prioritizing relationships with carrier partners. This position requires strong communication and presentation skills.
- Develop suggested business strategies for our carrier partners and their agents that will maximize the agents’ business and lead to increased Markel business.
- Prioritizes and plans resources and time within their assigned carrier partner zones.
- Influence agents to write business with Markel – solution deals with agents to win the business.
- Deliver training sessions with carrier partner producers in order to increase premium production.
- Create content for designated website(s). Coordinate with all necessary parties to ensure accuracy and agreement on content.
- Stay current on product, market, and industry knowledge.
- Finds ways to grow agents’ book with multiple product offerings from Markel, while retaining profitable business
- Continually review agent production and makes decisions if new strategies, additional education, or other initiatives should be implemented.
- Assist on special projects.
- High volume of travel expected when appropriate including driving.
- 3+ years professional liability underwriting experience on an admitted basis for a captive agency force for a standard P&C Carrier
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and skills reflective of progression of increasing responsibility;
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills, and skilled presentation aptitude;
- Technologically savvy; proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook;
- Strong analytical, organizational, risk assessment and time management skills;
- Must be a team player that enjoys a flexible and spontaneous business environment;
- Flexible to travel when appropriate.
- This role requires employees to drive on a regular basis. Employees in this position are expected to maintain a valid driver’s license and acceptable DMV Motor Vehicle Record which will be pulled on an annual basis for verification.