Goal of Mentorship Program:
- Provide a professional resource to help students successfully navigate their academic and career paths.
- Help students build and develop professional skills.
- Provide students with advice and guidance for their academic, professional, and personal development.
- Students are matched with an alumni mentor based on major, degree, and career interests.
- Students and mentors connect on a regular basis (every 2 to 4 weeks) during the program.
- Mentors and students collaborate to determine goals and activities to work on during the mentorship relationship.
Activities current mentors have done with their students include:
- Mock interviews
- Informational interviews
- Job shadows
- Resume and cover letter review
- Introductions to professionals in mentor’s network
- Mock salary negotiations
- Role-play difficult conversations in the workplace
- Brainstorm ways to stand out in your internship/job applications and interviews
Discussion topics current mentors have provided advice and guidance with include:
- Career options
- Academic and graduate school options
- Time management
- Effective networking
- How to follow-up after an interview
- Assessing workplace environments
- Assessing workplace values/non-negotiables
- Communications in the workplace with managers or supervisors
- What hiring managers are looking for in applicants
Why Join the Illinois Tech Alumni to Student Mentorship Program?
The Illinois Tech Alumni Mentorship Program allows alumni to share their own personal experiences, advice, guidance, and expertise to help students prepare for a successful future. As a mentor, you will help Illinois Tech students with academic, career, and personal development as they are entering their career. Current alumni volunteers have found the program to be a rewarding and meaningful experience to help students navigate during this phase in their career path.
Interested? Please fill out our application form and we will be in touch!